Monday, September 14, 2009

Observation Mark Owens

The smell of gas,grease and engine emissions, can tell you a lot about where you are at. In this case, I happened to be at the train and bus station in down town Frederick. From my resting spot across from the station, I observed the busy comings and goings of the passengers of the buses.
Every day people ride buses traveling to and from all different places. There are many questions we have with buses and the people riding on them. How long are they on the buses, what do these people carry with them? And can we tell where they are going or what they are doing by what they are wearing or what they are saying.
When I first arrived at the station, there was one man sitting on a bench waiting for the buses to arrive. The first bus got there about two minutes after I did. Then about five more came, in one minute there was nothing but the sound of cars driving by, then there was the sound of all the buses as they were idle waiting for the passengers to exit or enter them. The buses stayed there for about 7 to 10 minutes in that time about ten plus people got on and off the buses with limited interaction with each other. Its surprising to me from an observation point how people do not interact with each other as they pass going from one bus to another or a cab. This shows how people in society are usually self focused. People were more concerned with their own lives, talking on their cell phones. Because of the little interactions between the passengers, the main sounds are the buses, and the noisy construction coming from behind the buildings behind me.
When the buses are gone and there are no more passengers (not until the next bus), the only things really moving are the flags waving in the breeze, and the cars passing by. Not too mutch happens at a bus station at 11:15am on a weekday.

5 comments:

  1. I really like how you focused on nobody interacting with each other. I definitely noticed this at McDonald's too. I like your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you describe how one second it is really quiet and then the next it's hustling and bustling. I can see how it would probably be more constantly busy during the weekends with more people coming in and our of town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did notice that to when I was there. It got real quite for a couple of seconds and then noisey. You wrote this really well, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing to observe one of the busiest places in the city and not hear a word of interaction from each other. makes no sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete